Thursday, January 9, 2014

2014 Goals

When I was thinking about big picture goals for 2014, I realized that some of my goals from last year can definitely carry over to this year and it has nothing at all to do with whether or not I accomplished them but that they are around general topics that contribute in some part to happiness and wellbeing - career, money, health, and relationships. 

I think 2014 will be a difficult year of transitions but I'm hoping we can come out of it stronger and happier for the wear.

This year:

- I will find secure and meaningful employment. Yep - still working on this one. For the past almost year and a half, I've had three contract extensions working at a job I really enjoy. There is a decent possibility that a permanent spot will open up this Spring. Crummy timing with Baby #3 making his arrival this Spring but I've been told that taking any amount of time off (I can collect Employment Insurance for up to a year)  won't make a difference in my competitiveness for getting the position. I've been keeping my eyes open for other positions locally in my field so I'm hoping something will come up sometime this year but at least I have the piece of mind and the luxury of up to an entire year of having a certain amount of financial security to find "the job". 

- I will continue to pay off debt (at least $10,000) this year while at the same time taking a family vacation 
This will be the year of ridding ourselves entirely of our high interest debt. Currently, we are on track to having our credit card balances paid off by the time I'm off work. 

Vacation had a big impact on our happiness last year. So much so that we reduced our monthly debt payments to accomodate. Our vacation budget will be dramatically cut back with our baby budget so it pretty much will just cover our trailer and related expenses. We plan on spending as much time as we can up there and enjoying what we have. I'd also like to take a mini-vacation later on in the year if we can swing it. This will likely depend on whether or not I'm working. 

- I will make our house a home. Another one that carried over. I didn't make as much progress on the home front in 2013 but with our family finally being "complete" this Spring and being home full-time, I think I will have the drive to get on that. The nursery is up first! 

- I will make an effort to be healthy. At the moment, my goal is to deliver a healthy full-term baby. For the next few months, I'm going to make an additional effort to get more sleep, put my feet up more, and take it easy. Once the baby is here, my goal will be allowing myself to recover from the birth, successfully breastfeed, and get back to my pre-pregnancy weight through healthy eating and light-moderate exercise. 

- I will make an effort to focus more on extended family. DH's parents (and some siblings) live about 2 hours away. Consequently it has been easy to make excuses not to visit too often. Driving 20 hours to Florida really put into perspective just how close 2 hours actually is. DH's parents are also dealing with a transition with DH's mom going into a nursing home so it is more important than ever that we make the effort to go up more often. My mom and her boyfriend live nearby (15 minutes) though they winter in Florida. You'd think we see them often living that close but sometimes we go 3 weeks-1 month between visits. We'd like to see them more and also have the boys spend more time with both families. 

No comments: