Thursday, December 20, 2012

Month 2: Progress Update on "the Mission"


Two months after the project began to wipe out our $64,000 of debt before DH and I reach our 30th birthdays and...

How'd we do? We're down $1,793 which brings us to:

$59,860

This month we did pretty darn good - I think - on paying down the black cloud. Last month I had anticipated we wouldn't do as good this month as last with Christmas. I said I'd be happy with anything beyond our allocated $1500 so I'm happy. 

As for the Christmas budget, we totally blew the budget and came in $200 over budget. So we've spent just below the "average Canadian" amount of $630. I'm a little bit disappointed since I succombed to some pressure from other people to spend more on gifts or buy something extra. I was also ridiculously busy this month with end of term submissions for school and work. The beginning of the month was really crummy rainy weather and so on a whim I asked DH to pick us up a tree.. fully thinking that he would stop by the closest tree farm and choose and cut a tree on his own. He decided to stop at a school fundraiser and pick up a tree...a beautiful tree..but the $60 he spent was twice the amount I allocated to buying a tree. I guess that was part of our charity contribution. The little things really just added up. Next year, Christmas shopping alone. No exceptions. Since we spent $1200 last year, I'm at least happy we didn't spend more this year AND we didn't charge anything AND we still ended up paying off more debt than our minimum monthly allocation. 

The red and green above seem fitting. 2013 will be all about the green!   

No comments: